The Town Center
626 Church St.
Lynchburg, VA 24504
(434) 528-3449 (fax)
The main building of the YWCA Central Virginia is our Town Center, located on the corner of Church and 7th St. in Downtown Lynchburg, VA. The building serves as a residence for underprivileged women and women in transition. It also houses our Children's Supervised Visitation Center, Church Street Bridal and Church Street Bridal, Too. The Racial Justice Program and the Ygyrl leaders program uses the building for some of its activities and meetings. The Town Center is our business headquarters, and all staff and board can be reached here.
The YWCA Central Virginia was founded on October 10, 1912. Mrs. William C. Ivey was the first Board President. The Town Center was completed in 1919 and is considered a historic site in Lynchburg. The five story brick building was designed by Stanhope Johnson, with over 160 windows, 7 French double doors, and 18 historic glass transoms. Throughout the years the Town Center has boasted a swimming pool, dance studio, theatre studio and even a dance hall. The building is constantly changing to keep up with current needs. Just recently the third and fourth floor bathrooms were completely gutted and renovated for our residents, and the old dance studio was transformed into a bridal salon. The Town Center is an invaluable fixture in the Lynchburg community, as is the YWCA Central Virginia itself. The YWCA of Central Virginia will celebrate its Centennial in 2012.
Many rooms in the Town Center are available for rent, including the Ivey room for receptions, meetings, and even church services. Our full size gymnasium, including basketball goals, is also available. For more information about renting either space, please call (434) 847-7751.
Hours of Operation
M - F: 8:30am - 9:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 5:00pm Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm