RENEW YOUR CERTIFICATION! Your
certification must be current or have recently expired - no later than 6 months
prior to this training as long as you are actively teaching.
Water-based exercise class tailor-made for people with arthritis
Arthritis Foundation Aquatics Program
was created for people with arthritis to keep joints flexible, muscles strong and
to help reduce the pain associated with arthritis. The program is a safe, fun way for people
to stay fit. The updated program includes new exercises, deep-water movements
Get Involved! Get certified to lead the class
Every class of
the Arthritis Foundation Aquatics Program is led by a certified
leader/instructor. Instructors receive detailed training on aquatic exercises
and routines. Sign up today!
Pre-Requisites for Leaders:
Compliance with Leader/Instructor Statement of Understanding
- CPR certification
- Ability to swim 25 yards using any stroke without stopping
- Ability to jump into deep water, surface and either float for a
minimum of ten
minutes or tread water for a minimum of 1 minute
- Ability to perform the recovery position from the face up or face down
in shallow and deep water.
Additional pre-requisites for Instructors:
YMCA, Red Cross or other nationally recognized lifeguard or water safety rescue
- First aid certification is strongly recommended
Other desirable abilities include:
- Empathy towards people with arthritis and related diseases
gained through personal or professional experience
- Interest in working with groups of people with arthritis
- Experience in teaching exercise classes; skill in group process
and instructional techniques
- Desire and ability to help others
- Strong belief in the value of physical activity
For the class:
You will need to bring a swimsuit and towel. Bring your own lunch.
Once accepted into the course, you will be mailed or emailed a pre-training
booklet to be completed for to the workshop. Complete the booklet and bring it
to the training. If you do not bring a completed booklet, you will be asked to
leave the training. You must attend the entire training.
You will be notified when you are accepted into the course. If the
course is full by the time your application is received, you will automatically
be placed on a waiting list and notified by e-mail. Class size is limited.
In order to remain certified by the Arthritis Foundation, you must
attend a re-certification training every three years.
Deadline for Registration is 10
days prior to training.