Houston Chapter of Hadassah
The Houston Chapter of Hadassah 2015 Executive Board Installation will take place on Sunday, January 11 at 3:00 pm at the home of Sarah Braham, 5304 Pine Street Bellaire. Your $18 payment is your reservation. A check may be sent to the office, 4654 Beechnut Street 77096, or you may register online at www.hadassah.org/houston/2015installation.
Hadassah, the Women’s Zionist Organization of America, is over 100 years old and is the largest volunteer women’s organization in the United States – with more than 330,000 members, including about 4,000 in the Houston area.
In Israel and around the world, Hadassah provides medical care regardless of race, religion, or nationality. Hadassah leads the way with advancements in ALS, breast and colon cancer, trauma, and emergency medicine, diabetes, macular degeneration, MS, AIDS, Parkinson’s disease, and cardiac health. At HMO research continues in the area of embryonic stem cell research. Hadassah sets the standard for healing, caring, and responding to international crises in times of need. By helping to provide housing, education, and training, Hadassah has supported 3 Youth Aliyah villages and has saved thousands of disadvantaged and at-risk children. And, by supporting Young Judaea camping and Israel programs, Hadassah has helped develop the next generation of Jewish leaders.
Every Beat Counts is Hadassah’s heart health program which provides information, resources, and reference for the use of our members. Included is Smart for the heart, a free online cardiac risk assessment and personalized wellness tool (www.smartfortheheart.org).
Locally our programs include a very active breast health awareness program, serving the uninsured and underserved. We support Dress for Success; Let My People Read, donating new and gently used books to needy local elementary schools, area hospitals, and the women’s shelter; and, we help support Meals on Wheels.
The Houston Chapter website provides an opportunity to communicate to and get the latest updates in our chapter and nationally to our 14 active groups. To find out more about each group, where they are located in the Houston area, and the general age range of each group click here.
- Terror Attack Survivor Gives Birth to Baby Boy at Hadassah's Hospital
- Adi Hudja Peretz, who almost lost her life in a terror attack 13 years ago, has delivered a healthy baby boy at Hadassah's Hospital in Ein Kerem.
- Hadassah Surgeon Ahmed Eid Performs Life-Saving Surgery on Jerusalem Terror Victim
- Prof. Ahmed Eid, head of the Department of General Surgery at Hadassah Hospital-Mount Scopus, performed life-saving surgery on Chen Schwartz, the Israeli soldier who was shot twice at close range by a terrorist on a motor scooter in Jerusalem.
- Israeli Hero Treated at Hadassah's Hospital on Mount Scopus
- Israeli Prison Service Officer Ariel Twitto was on his way to pick up his children from nursery school camp after accompanying a prisoner to court when he and fellow officer, Elad Biton, heard someone shouting "Piguah!" (terror attack!).
- Wounded Paratrooper Prepares to Return Home from Hadassah
- Oron had been in a fire fight with a group of terrorists in Gaza when he felt something hit him, but he kept on fighting. It was only later that he noticed all the blood.
- Hadassah-Neurim Provides Refuge for Border Kibbutz
- For the last three weeks, Mali Yehoshafat and her four children have found refuge at Hadassah-Neurim. 125 kibbutz members—including all the children in this border agricultural commune are living in Hadassah’s Youth Village, near Netanya.
- Urge Congress to Affirm Support for Israel
- Israel once again finds itself in a time of crisis, forced to take military action to defend its citizens from indiscriminate rocket and mortar fire. Urge Congress to affirm its unwavering, bipartisan support for Israel’s sovereignty and security, and pass the United States-Israel Strategic Partnership Act!