Greetings from
the Rector

Msgr. Walter R. Rossi welcomes you to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception's worldwide web site... More



Stay In Touch
Support
The Shrine Prayer Guild
Online Memorial Registry
En Español
Listen to the Basilica Choir Discography
The Organs at the National Shrine
Employment Opportunities
Volunteer Opportunities
Book a Tour

 Home > Crypt Church

Christ the Good Shepherd



The Crypt Church's Good Shepherd or Blessed Sacrament Chapel, located in the center of the apse, was the first to be completed in 1926. In the catacombs of Rome, the representation of the Good Shepherd was the most common symbol of veneration by early Christians. This mosaic, modeled after one such image, contains every variety and color of pure gold as it is taken from the mines. The Greek letters ICNI and XCKA translate: "Christ conquers." Tiffany of New York executed the tabernacle, which was designed by Shrine architect Charles Maginnis. The altar, chapel, tabernacle and appointments are the gifts of Sir James J. Ryan of Philadelphia, Pa.

  

                                   

CONTACT US  |  FAQ  |  PRIVACY STATEMENT  |  SITE MAP  |  DIRECTIONS  |  EN ESPAÑOL