Welcome to the
Saint Paul High School
Saint Paul High School
All-Years Class Reunion
Start planning now!
ST. PAUL HIGH SCHOOL REUNION 2009
1923 – 2009
Are you ready for another class reunion? The St. Paul High School Alumni Association is planning a reunion for all alumni that graduated or attended St. Paul High School from 1923 to 2009. The huge reunion will be held on Friday, July 24th and Saturday, July 25th, 2009. This should be a special reunion for everyone since there are plans to close St. Paul High School through consolidation. All events for the reunion weekend will be held at the Oxbow Center in St. Paul. We will start on Friday evening, July 24th , with a casual reception, party and entertainment by The Deaf Tones (Frank Molinary & Billy Hillman) from 7:00 to 11:00 pm. On Saturday afternoon, July 25th, we will host a catered picnic from 12 noon to 4:00 pm. This will be the perfect opportunity to bring your family and friends so we can tell all your secrets you have tried to keep hidden since high school! There will be a $5.00 charge for your guests (parents, children, grandchildren, etc.) for the picnic only. On Saturday evening, July 25th, there will be a reception, party and entertainment by Ivy Road from 7:00 to 12 midnight. A schedule of events is enclosed so you will not miss one minute of this fabulous weekend of fun and reminiscing!
The cost is $30.00 per person for all events plus the $5.00 charge for your guests to the picnic. All the money made from the reunion will go to the St. Paul High School Alumni Association Scholarships, which are awarded each year. In order to have an accurate count for all the festivities, it is necessary that the registration form be completed and returned with your check as soon as possible and no later than July 15, 2009. If you know classmates that have not been contacted about the reunion, please forward this to them. Our website, www.spdeacs.org, has more information concerning all events in St. Paul.
Suzy Pate Harrison, Chair & Class of 1968
(276) 762-5544 or (276) 762-9376
There are two ways you can register for the reunion. You can print out the form located here. If you print this form, please mail it and your check to one of the addresses on the form. We are also working on the ability to allow our members to register for the reunion online. This will actually cost the Alumni Association about $5 per registrtation - we are offering this as a service for our members.
Top High School - 2009!
St. Paul High School recognized by US News and World Report
St. Paul High School, along with Appalachia and Pound High Schools, has been recognized with Bronze Awards from U.S. News and World Report Best High Schools 2009 Search. To view the article please click on the following link: http://www.usnews.com/sections/education/high-schools/. The link for Virginia's top high schools can be found here.
The following brief came from the Governor's office:
Nationʼs Best: Virginia Governor Timothy M. Kaine congratulated Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County for being named the nation's best high school by US News & World Report. A total of 43 VA schools made the annual list of Americaʼs top 100 high schools. Four high schools received Gold Medals, 12 Silver Medals and 27 Bronze Medals
Please Visit the Voice for Community Schools website at
Membership in the St. Paul High School Alumni Association is FREE to all SPHS Alumni, anyone that attended any of the St. Paul schools, and all friends of SPHS. Membership includes a listing in the password protected directory available only to our members. Register here now.
17-Mar-2009 The following updates have been made:
11-Mar-2009 The following updates have been made:
In memory of another classmate: Click on IN MEMORIAM for details.
Schedules for the boys baseball teams have been updated.
The Biography for board member Drew Mullins was updated
01-Feb-2009 The following update was made:
26-Jan-2009 The following updates have been made:
- An Alumni Spotlight item on Neva Bryan was added to the NEWSLETTER page.
- Minutes from the October 14, 2008 Board Meeting (pending approval) have been added to the Minutes section off the ABOUT page.
- The recently updated Bylaws have been posted off the ABOUT page.
24-Jan-2009 The following updates have been made:
- The plans for the St. Paul High School All-Years Reunion for 2009 are being finalized. Information on the reunion is posted at the top of this web page. This information will be updated if and when more information is available.
- A letter presented by our Chair, Suzy Harrison, to the St. Paul Town Council at their meeting on Monday night, January 19, 2009, has been added to the VCS page.
- Several changes have been made to the yearbook section of our site. These changes are intended to make the yearbook pages - by far the most popular pages on our site - more user-friendly. Check out the yearbook page for your class. If it's not there, you can help us by allowing us to borrow your yearbook so it can be scanned!
12-Oct-2008 The following updates have been made:
- An article titled "St. Paul teens practice ‘green’ construction" from the September 26th edition of The Coalfield Progress has been added to the NEWSLETTER page.
- Minutes from the July 21, 2008 Board Meeting (pending approval) have been added to the Minutes section off the ABOUT page.
- Archives have been added to both the HOME and NEWSLETTER pages. Old items have been moved to their respective archive. You can access the HOME page archive by following the link near the bottom of this page. The newsletter archive is accessible from a link on the top left of the NEWSLETTER page.
04-Oct-2008 The following updates have been made:
- Two new "Letters to the Editor" to The Coalfield Progress - from former School Board member Ann Gregory and SPHS Principal Walt Padgett - have been added to the VCS "We Get Letters" page. Both are "must read" letters.
- The VCS "We Get Letters" page had to be redesigned because we get so many letters! The side-by-side table - which was intended to present a fair view of the issue - has been dropped in favor of a simple list to conserve space (not to mention we have received only ONE pro-consolidation letter).
09-Sep-2008 The following updates have been made:
- Photos from the Reunion in July 2008 for the classes of '63, '68 & '73 have been posted under the Other Photos section of the PHOTOS AND SPIRIT page.
- A speech presented to the school board on July 7th from Debbie Stanley Baca, Chairperson for Voice for Community Schools, has been posted on the spdeacs MESSAGE BOARDS.
- A letter from Debbie Baca emailed on August 7th to leaders of Dominion Power has been posted under ‘We get letters’ on the VCS page.
- Letters from Suzy Pate Harrison, Chairperson for your SPHS Alumni Association, have been posted on the VCS page.
- A letter and a cost comparison with regard to saving our community schools, written and presented to the school board on September 8th by SPHS Alumni Association board member Johnny Jones, has been posted on the VCS website under ’We get letters’.
15-Aug-2008 The following updates have been made:
- In memory of another classmate: Click on IN MEMORIAM for details.
- Newspaper articles related to school consolidation have been added to the "In the news" link on the VCS web page.
- An article from the 8-Aug-2008 edition of The Coalfield Progress titled "St. Paul students take part in South Africa conference" has been added to the NEWSLETTER page.
The 1987 yearbook has been added to the Yearbook section of the PHOTOS AND SPIRIT link above. Thanks to Tammy Verno for supplying the yearbook, and very special thanks to Connie Molinary for taking the time to scan the 80+ pages!
27-Jul-2008 Scholarship Awards added:
- Scholarship awards for the 2007-2008 academic year have been added to the NEWSLETTER page.
22-Jul-2008 The following updates have been made:
- Fall schedules for the Football and Basketball (boys and girls, JV and varsity) teams have been added to the PHOTOS AND SPIRIT page. If you have any schedules for other sports or school activities, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
21-Jul-2008 The following updates have been made:
- A link to the website for the First Baptist Church of St. Paul has been added to the NEWSLETTER page.
11-Jul-2008 The following updates have been made:
- SPHSAA has learned that alumnus Valerie Ward Foutz is in critical condition since her cancer has returned. She is in the hospital at:
Lewis-Gale Medical Center
1900 Electric Rd
Salem, VA 24153
- Updated the date of the upcoming school board meeting on both the SPHSAA and VCS home pages.
08-Jun-2008 The following update was made:
- An Alumni Spotlight item on Sonny Hamm was added to the NEWSLETTER page
06-Jun-2008 The following updates have been made:
- In memory of another classmate: Click on IN MEMORIAM for details.
- The SPHSAA and VCS home pages have been updated with information on the next regular Wise County School Board meeting
- The mis-titled 'Mission' item on the NEWSLETTER page has been renamed 'Purpose', and has been moved to the ABOUT page
- We have added the group graduation photo of the 2008 graduating class to the 'Year Books and Photos' section of the PHOTOS AND SPIRIT page
- Dates have been added to all articles on the NEWSLETTER page
- The following four items have been added to the NEWSLETTER page:
- 06-Jun-2008 - Audra Delauder accepts Jefferson Scholarship at U. Va.
- 06-Jun-2008 - SPHS Classes of 1963, 1968, and 1973 Class Reunion (July of 2008)
- 05-Jun-2008 - ANNOUNCEMENT: Deacon Sports Wall of Fame
- 03-Jun-2008 - The Coalfield Progress: St. Paul High reps going to South Africa
- We want to share with you some very exciting news coming from St. Paul High School. Click on the NEWSLETTER link above to learn more about what you can do to support two students and one mentor at the GLOBE Learning Expedition and 12th Annual Conference in Cape Town, South Africa! We are very proud of our students’ participation in the GLOBE program and the WATeR Project, and are excited about the possibility of taking their message around the world. If you wish to provide financial support, please send your donations to:
Globe Project Team c/o St. Paul High School
PO Box 976
3207 4th Avenue
St. Paul, VA 24283
- SPHSAA has learned that alumnus Scott Hamilton, SPHS Class of 1988, was diagnosed with esophageal cancer on February 26, 2008. Scott is using CaringBridge (http://www.caringbridge.org) to host his journal as he goes through this journey. You can get to Scott’s journal directly by going to http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/scotthamilton.
- The 10th Annual Clinch River Festival will be held on May 30th, May 31st and June 1st, 2008. Every year the town of St. Paul, Virginia comes alive with the flavors of the region during Clinch River Days. This is a perfect opportunity for alumni to meet! Come home to St. Paul for a weekend of fun in the mountains and a celebration of the Clinch River! For more information, including a schedule of events, go to http://clinchriverfestival.com
Two new letters in support of our community schools - one from April Cain and another from Bruce Puckett - have been added to the "We Get Letters" link on the VCS web page.
From time to time old items from this page are moved to a secret government archive where they are stored next to the Lost Arc of the Covenant. Don't tell anyone, but archived items can be found here.
Quarterly Board Meeting
The next board meeting is April 20th, 2009 at 6:30 in the Vencil Learning Center.