29th Annual Cardboard Boat Race
On The Strand in Oxford, MD
|WHERE AND WHEN?|
June 24, 2017 on The Strand in Oxford.
From Rte. 50 on the Eastern Shore, take the Easton Bypass to Rte 333 to Oxford.
Boat Registration and inspection begins at 9am, Races start at 11am.
Awards on The Strand after the races!
All proceeds from food sales benefit Special
Olympics Maryland. Burgers, hot dogs, chips,
ice cream, etc. will be sold. Enjoy!
WHAT TO DO
• First- you’ve got to build your boat! (see rules).
• Entry fee is $25 (a boat may race in more than one event).
• Pre-registration deadline in June 17, 2017 or the first 100 boats to show up.
• Each racer must provide their own life jacket and paddle (kayak paddles permitted).
• There is no limit of persons on a boat; however two person boats are the most workable.
This day of fun benefits Special Olympics Maryland, an organization that provides year-round sports training and athletic competition to individuals with intellectual disabilities. A percentage of proceeds also benefit the Oxford Community Center.
5 SIGNATURE CARDBOARD BOAT RACES
• Fast Race- Open to anyone. Officials will inspect boats to determine if they are “fast.”
• ½ Ironman “Battle of the Brave” - the highlight of the day! For all the courageous folks who serve the public (police, coast guard, firefighters, military). This event is in memory of Oxford’s former Police Chief, Wally Jones, who passed away in 1995.
• Children’s Race - Special shortened course for children 15 and under. Parental signature on registration form is a must.
• Corporate Challenge- slap your logo on a boat and see if you can float to the finish line…great team building opportunity!
• Funny Race- Open to anyone. Officials will inspect boats to determine if they are “funny”. Funniest boat winner gets a prize regardless of speed or floatability!
Don’t miss the race of the old wooden boats in honor of Douglas Hanks, Jr.
“The Smith Island Crab Netting Skiff Race”. They’ll race around from Cemetery cove prior to the cardboard races.
Anchored fleet prior to the race.
For winners in all races + top fundraiser from all races. (Note: fundraising totals are anything over & beyond the corresponding entry fee.) Teams bringing pledges over the corresponding entry fee will receive:
• $100 in pledges- 2 event t-shirts
• $250 in pledges- 2 event t-shirts & lunch for 2
• $500 in pledges- 2 event t-shirts, 2 lunches
& a special item (TBD).