Rider Commitment and Application
We are accepting applications for the 2018 Peloton Challenge, September 22-29, 2018 from Toronto to Las Vegas.
To apply to become a rider, please click here to complete the online application form. Please contact Susan Chung at email@example.com or call 416-961-1928 ext. 238 for any questions or additional information.
As a participant in the 2018 Wellspring Ride for Cancer Support, Peloton Challenge, all riders must commit to fulfilling the following requirements:
individual fundraising commitment of $10,000 (minimum).
2. The ability to cycle at a minimum average speed of 27 km/h in varied terrain and weather conditions. Participating riders will be riding 120-150 kms each day. Various assessments throughout the year will take
place to ensure each rider is able to meet this requirement.
3. Participation in at least one monthly team training event, each month between May 2018 and August 2018*. New riders to the event are also required to participate in the night training ride.
4. Riders must meet and/or exceed the following milestones:
a. By May 31, 2018 – ability to cycle 75 km at a minimum average speed of 24 km/h on flat terrain.
b. By June 30, 2018 – ability to cycle 90 km in a peloton group at a minimum average speed of 23 km/h and an overall ascent of at least 300 meters over the distance of the ride.
c. By July 31, 2018 – ability to cycle 100 km in a peloton group at a minimum average speed of 25 km/h and an overall ascent of at least 500 meters over the distance of the ride.
d. By August 31, 2018 – ability to cycle at a minimum average speed of 27km/h in a peloton group over varied terrain and weather conditions. Participating riders will be riding at least 120 km and at their option, as far as 150 km each day at this pace during the 8-day Peloton Challenge.
5. Where the Training Committee deems necessary, all riders agree to the following:
a. A training plan designed with the assistance of the Training Committee or a third-party cycling coach.
b. The use
of a GPS enabled bike computer or the free smartphone cycling app ‘Strava’
linked to a www.strava.com account for use by the Training Committee to assist
with the training plan
c. Participation in two cyclist assessments by the Training Committee*:
i. Initial assessment of group riding capabilities by May 31, 2018.
ii. Follow up assessment by June 30, 2018. Following this assessment, the Training Committee has the right to inform the rider that they will be required to defer their participation in the 2018 Wellspring Ride for Cancer Support Peloton Challenge unless they take remedial action to ensure the satisfaction of minimum training requirements by August 31, 2018 (see above). The Training Committee agrees to assist the cyclist in developing an action plan to reach his/her objectives.
6. All riders agree the Ride Captain retains the right in his/her discretion, to deny any rider to participate in the 2018 Peloton Challenge if the rider is not deemed ready, and that during the event, the Ride Captain or Team Captains have the absolute discretion to pull a cyclist from a peloton should he/she not be able to maintain minimum standards.
7. Commitment to familiarize yourself with Wellspring Cancer Support Foundation’s programs and services, and be a brand ambassador leading up to the ride, throughout the duration of the ride and during the Miami weekend.
*Note: Exemptions from the team training and individual training assessments may be made for riders who are deemed by the Training Committee to have advanced cycling/peloton skills.
The above requirements are intended to ensure a safe and enjoyable event for all participants. The Training Committee has been highly successful in assisting new participants (many of whom who have had no previous cycling or endurance experience) in achieving their training targets. The Training Committee will be pleased to work with all riders to assist them in reaching the minimum required riding standards.
Wellspring is committed to providing dedicated riders with fundraising support and access to available grant opportunities. For more information, please contact Christine Mieczkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-480-4440 ext. 247.
All riders will receive the following with their participation in the 2018 Peloton Challenge:
event jerseys and one event t-shirt