Alcohol Policy for Plunge 2017
The alcohol policy for PlungeFest 2017 is as follows:
- The consumption of alcoholic beverages will be permitted in select PlungeFest areas only for those 21 years of age or older. For Plunge participants and festival-goers, that includes the Ice Lodge tent/ Beer Garden (a fenced, un-tented extension off of the tent), where beer and wine only will be available for sale. Beer and wine will also be available in a secure Sponsor/VIP Area.
- All other areas of the event remain alcohol-free. Alcohol-free tailgating is still permitted in the parking lots, and tailgaters must abide by all park policies concerning grills, trash, etc.
- The MSP Polar Bear Plunge, a featured portion of PlungeFest, remains alcohol-free. No alcoholic beverages will be permitted inside the Plunge Zone, and the Plunge security team will prevent any participant who appears to be intoxicated from taking the Plunge. This is due to the safety risks involved in mixing too much alcohol with the extreme nature of taking the Plunge.
This change in policy reflects the event organizers' desire to be responsive to the event's loyal participants and attendees, while at the same time, safeguarding the health and safety of all event participants. Safety remains our first priority.
In order to safely implement this revised policy, Plunge participants and attendees will notice additional security measures, including:
- A much larger contingent of both uniformed and plainclothes security officers patrolling the event grounds
- A zero-tolerance policy on drunk and disorderly behavior
- Increased security/crowd control measures around the Plunge Zone. Under this revised policy, anyone entering the Plunge Zone must pass through an inspection at one of several checkpoints. More substantial fencing will surround the Plunge Zone, and bags will be checked. These measures should also help to alleviate some of the ongoing crowd control challenges that have occurred in the past.