Meet Virtual Coach
Ann (Mom) Kennedy and Mary
Ann finishing her first half marathon the 2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon
Hi - I look forward to coaching you this year towards your running goal! I have 24 years of running experience and I’ve completed 12 marathons. Since 2004, I have been both a local Joints in Motion Coach as well as Virtual successfully coaching hundreds to crossing the finish line!
My running background
I started running in middle school as part of the cross-country team. Though I was never one of the best runners, I enjoyed the sport and stuck with it through high school. I continued to run for fun after high school.
My marathon experience
My marathon experience began with the Arthritis Foundation and Joints in Motion. I completed my first marathon with Team Dublin in 2000. It was amazing and the experience of completing a marathon made me love the sport. Since then, I have completed 11 more marathons and have qualified for the Boston Marathon.
I’ve earned degrees in both exercise physiology and nutrition and worked in the field of health and wellness for years; running has always been a central theme in my professional life. Some of the highlights are below:
- I’ve been a coach with the Arthritis Foundation since 2004, helping people of all different running backgrounds complete half and full marathons.
- I’m a nutrition consultant for Stonyfield Farm and recently gave a nutrition talk at the Boston Athletic Association’s clinic for 2014 Boston Marathon runners.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noI7-OOESvw
- I’m a director for Dreamfar High School Marathon, a program that turns the road into the classroom, challenging high school students through a mentor-supported marathon training program.
- I was an Associate Producer of NOVA’s documentary Marathon Challenge, which chronicled the stories of 13 sedentary people as they trained for and completed the 2007 Boston Marathon. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/program.html
- I led a research study at Tufts University to investigate the relationship between marathon training and weight loss in recreational runners.
I believe long distance running has many gifts to offer. Everyone’s journey to the finish line is different. I work hard to be sure you have all of the tools you need to make your training safe, effective, and fun so that you can achieve all of the goals you’ve set for yourself. To contact Mary email her at: email@example.com
Leave a note to Coach Mary...