Incubators Grow NYC’s Fashion Cluster
Our latest What Works Case Study discusses how the NYCEDC and CFDA’s Fashion Incubator has helped a broader effort to support local entrepreneurship and strengthen the Garment District’s position as a worldwide capital for fashion. Read the case study and blog.
Spotlight on City of Oakland: Celebrating Small Business
The City of Oakland, our 2014 Inner City 100 Nominator of the Year, discusses how the City’s sector strategy helped them nominate a remarkable seven winners in 2014 and 55 winners in their long history as a nominator. Read the blog here.
Improving Resiliency through Food Manufacturing and Distribution
A vulnerable or disrupted food processing and distribution system directly impacts food resiliency. Examples from San Francisco and New York City highlight strategies to address this critical issue. Read the blog here.
How New Markets Tax Credits Can Help Inner City Communities
This month’s CEO Series Webinar, Financing Growth: New Markets Tax Credits and Beyond, was presented on February 26th. The webinar featured Stephen R. Miller, Associate Professor of Law and Director of the Economic Development Clinic at the University of Idaho College of Law, and Dave Glaser, CEO at Montana Community Development Corporation.
ICIC on the Move
- On February 5th, ICIC teamed up with Staples and World Business Chicago to present Paving a Path to Growth in 2015. The event featured two of our Chicago-based 2014 Inner City 100 winners, Fruition Partners and All Terrain for a dynamic and interactive discussion about the bold moves entrepreneurs can take to stand out among the competition.
- On February 26th, ICIC’s Alexandra Edelstein presented at Venture Café, A Night With Female Founders on Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses. The annual event showcases women entrepreneurs who are advancing equality of opportunity for women in business, technology and science by working to build a more inclusive innovation community.
- On February 26th, Matt Camp attended The National Opportunity Summit, convened by Opportunity Nation and others, in Washington, DC, and was invited to participate in a special breakout session called Community Activation: Aligning Youth Employment Initiatives. ICIC was invited to share our knowledge of how inner city economies can contribute to the discussion around youth employment for those in urban areas
Announcements & Events
- ICIC is pleased to announce that Steve Grossman will be joining us as CEO. We’re excited to have the former Treasurer of Massachusetts at the helm and believe his leadership will help deepen our impact and partnerships in cities across the country. For more information, read our press release and a Boston Globe article.
- The Inner City 100 is back! ICIC has recognized over 800 companies since the program’s inception in 1999, and this year’s publication in FORTUNE promises to highlight some of the country’s most dynamic urban businesses. Nominate or apply today to be a part of the nation’s preeminent celebration of urban business.
- Through the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program, entrepreneurs from all 50 states have the opportunity to step away from day-to-day operations and focus on growth. We are now accepting applications for our upcoming Fall 2015 class at Babson College, and the Priority Application Deadline is April 1st. Register here for our upcoming informational webinar on Friday, March 6th. For more information on the program, click here.
Join the ICIC Team
- ICIC is currently hiring for multiple positions! These are exciting opportunities to join ICIC’s talented, creative and committed professionals in a collaborative culture dedicated to excellence and innovation. Please see the position descriptions and application instructions here.